No Audio in Plex?

No Audio in Plex?

Postby myminirocks » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:51 am

Hi there, firstly thank you this amazing program, use the free version for about 2 mins and bought the full version, just what I have been looking for!

Anyhoo.... I am wondering why I get no audio in PLEX. Well actually, I get the menu 'click's and navigation sounds but as soon as I actually start a file, ie movie, tv show, song etc, all of a sudden I get no audio.

Airphone is still connected because the headphones remain blue, and if i switch to eyetv the audio come through fine, just not while watching/listening to anything in PLEX.

Hope I can fix this because PLEX is 90% of my HTPC and where I will be using airphones mostly from.

Any ideas?
myminirocks

Re: No Audio in Plex?

Postby smashart » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:59 am

Hmm this is the first I've heard of Plex, looks like a great app. I'm wondering if it's some kind of block coming from Plex? Obviously I can't troubleshot using all programs, maybe some investigation from them may give you some answers. I'll keep my eyes open for answers, just don't know what to say at this point. Glad you're liking the app though.
smashart
Site Admin

Postby myminirocks » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:38 pm

Ohhhh Yeah! PLEX is amazing! I use a Mac Mini as our HTPC and PLEX rocks!

Anyway, I will post over at PLEX as well and see what they say.

If it helps, I have noticed that when I start up airphones on the phone, there is a very slight 'dip' in the audio in plex on the Mini and a 'click' on the phones, but then nothing happens. hmmmmm

Happy to Beta test any fixes you might have, I have good opportunities to test these things.

Cheers!
myminirocks

Postby myminirocks » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:27 am

Ok so posted over at the Plex forums and some smart cookie noticed that from within Plex you can select Airphones as the audio output and that fixes the problem, and, well, yes it does, but still doesn't behave quite the same way as with the rest of the system.

So in Plex go to preferences/system/audio and set output to Airphones. Ths does fix the problem but once you are done listening thru Airphones you need to remeber to turn it back to the default audio output. ie. Everytime you need to use Airphones you need to change a setting in Plex.

I don't get why Plex is any different to any other app where Airphones happily hijacks the Audio out and sends it to the phone?

Also I definately see more of a lip sync issue in Plex then anywhere else.

Looking forward to the further development of this app. Specifically the 'in app' remotes features like what is available in audioin

keep up the good work!
myminirocks

Postby myminirocks » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:47 pm

So Just a bit more on this one to hopefully be fixed one day.

The workaround I posted above works a treat, but it is a bit inconvenient to have to select the audio output each time I use Plex and wish to use AirPhones.

It is a bit weird that the AirPhones server seems to manage to hijack any other system audio output automatically with out having to manually select AirPhones in the sound preferences and even does so in Plex for all the navigation sounds but as soon as you select any type of file to play, suddenly Airphones can't hijack it?

Anyway, as I said, it is inconvenient, but not a deal breaker. I might have to write a little script to automatically switch over to AirPhones when Plex is launched or something...hmm no that wont work because I dont always use Plex with Airphones..... I dont know, I'll work something out.

I did like the idea cpt_chris had in the thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54

Doesn't seem to much of an ask? Just some kinda system events trigger once the Airphones server detects a connection to the iphone it can run a script to switch to Airphones as the audio output? That would solve my issue?

Looking forward to the continued development of this little gem!
myminirocks

Postby coopr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 pm

I tested AirPhones last night with VLC, Plex, and Boxee on a Mac Mini - they all worked, with a few caveats:

VLC: Needed to startup VLC after starting up AirPhones

Plex: Needed to manually switch the audio output, as noted in this thread

Boxee: Worked perfectly - and by telling Boxee to play the audio 0.05 seconds ahead of the video, I also got absolutely perfectly synced audio and video (at least it was perfect as far as I could tell!)
coopr

Postby hmori0622 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:50 pm

I am having the same problem: no audio from iChat, Growl, and Mail.
hmori0622

Return to Mac Help