Server connected, but there's no audio.

Server connected, but there's no audio.

Postby smashart » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:35 am

If the AirPhones menubar icon is solid blue >> Image << you're almost home free.

What's happening is you don't have audio playing through the system. Make sure the volume is up on your computer and on the device and that you have some audio, music or a movie playing.

Also, make sure your headphones are properly connected.
smashart
Site Admin

Re: Server connected, but there's no audio.

Postby beang » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:47 pm

I was using AirPhones fine a few weeks ago, but it has since stopped working. My iPhone connects to the AirPhones server and the menu icon turns solid blue, but there's no audio. The audio on my computer cuts out when the the server connects to the phone, and returns when i disconnect.

I've tried using the built-in speaker, headphones and dock speakers. I've removed and reinstalled the software on both ends, but I can't get it to work.
beang

Postby smashart » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:09 pm

If you are in fact seeing the solid blue icon, it's likely that 1. there is no audio playing from your computer or 2. The computer audio is muted. I have yet to see a situation where a solid blue icon isn't playing live audio. Of course you may be the exception and I'd like to find out if you are, but so far, solid blue means everything is a go. >> Image <<
smashart
Site Admin

Postby beang » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:40 pm

I figured out the issue. For some reason, the AirPhones Speakers were muted in the system sound preferences. I'm an unsure how the Mute box got checked, but I am glad that it was a simple fix.
beang

Postby skootergrrl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:55 pm

I have the same problem. Solid blue icon. Server seems connected. Is there supposed to be something listed in the AirPhones prefs under "Known Devices"? I checked my system prefs and AirPhones is listed under output and not muted. Sound is still coming out of my laptop speakers. Help?
skootergrrl

Postby smashart » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:03 pm

If you're seeing solid blue, you are in fact connected and you need to check your volume levels in three places, the main computer volume, the app volume you're running audio out of and the device volume on your iPhone or iPod touch. Between those options, you should be able to get the audio to play through.
smashart
Site Admin

Postby jcodybaker » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:23 am

I have the same problem. It will play for a second or two (often garbled) and then pause, play again, pause, rinse repeat. When its doing this the server software is typically very unresponsive.

The latency between my laptop and the AP is low (2-3ms), but the link from the AP to the iPhone varies pretty widely, especially when I use packet sizes closer to full MTU. I've tried this on a few different wireless networks always get pretty similar results for the phones (both 3G and 3GS). I'm using a Linksys WRT54GC Wireless G router here, and some type of Linksys G AP at the office where I've also tested it. Computer is a Unibody Macbook Pro 17. I've tried it with the computer on wired ethernet also, same result.

--- 192.168.1.104 (iphone) ping statistics ---
312 packets transmitted, 311 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 2.976/43.525/154.238/33.125 ms

I ran a tcpdump and attached the packet capture. I hope it sheds some light onto what's going on here. The most telling part of the capture was a HUGE number of retransmits and out of order packets. Also, looking at the time vs seq graph very clearly shows the stalls. Also, 3800 packets and 2.8 megabytes seems a little extreme for 20 seconds of audio.

Hope this helps. I really like the idea of this app. Feel free to contact if I can provide any more information.

http://www.codybaker.org/postdir/airphones2.pcap.zip

jcodybaker

Postby smashart » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'm looking into adding two more settings, medium and high latency to accommodate various uses. If you know how to accomplish this, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts or possible gain your assistance. Please email me. Chris
smashart
Site Admin

Postby dieselpower44 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Hey sorry to revive an old thread but I'm having this problem. Latest version of Airphones server and App on iPhone. It worked the very first time I tried and was fantastic, but then I paused, disconnected and when I tried an hour later I got nothing, no audio. The headphones icon in the menubar in Snow Leopard is blue and the volume is up to maximum in all 3 places (Mac audio, Quicktime/VLC/iTunes, iPhone).

If I go into audio preferences on the mac, I see that the output is set to Airphones but for some reason underneath it says "there are no options for this output" and no sound level display.

Any suggestions? I'm on latest Snow Leopard and everything. No idea what went wrong! Is it possible that Soundflower is causing problems?
dieselpower44

Postby dieselpower44 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:37 am

OK fixed the audio problem! All it needed was a good old fashioned restart of the Mac. Turns out that despite OSX being a UNIX system, logging out does NOT in fact refresh everything as rebooting does! Everything seems to work fine now.
dieselpower44

Postby njustn » Thu May 27, 2010 5:58 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having this problem with some extra details. Server shows full blue icon, airphones is selected, mute is off, volume is maxed out on both the video player, and the system, and there's no audio.

Two additional details that I'm pretty sure are relevant, while this is happening the application is showing the beach ball of death, after a minute or two the server crashes and the app starts running again. I also have a feeling this might be related to the fact I'm running iPhone OS 4, have you done any testing with the new firmware?
njustn

Return to Mac Help