Compress the audio! It will solve the audio issues. $$$

Compress the audio! It will solve the audio issues. $$$

Postby modest » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:29 am

Streaming uncompressed audio at 1.5 megabits is ridiculous. It is causing skipping issues because most areas have significant 2.4 GHz interference (from neighboring WiFi networks, bluetooth, portable phones, etc.), preventing full 802.11b/g bandwidth from being used.

Compressing the streaming audio using MP3 would add only 23 milliseconds of delay. That’s imperceptible. (Audio/video sync delay is only noticeable above 100 ms.) Concerned about quality? Compress at 192 kbps! 256 kbps! Whatever! Just, for the love of god, choose something less ridiculous than 1500 kbps.

There are open source libraries that can do this easily. This is a one-day project, guys. Don’t like MP3 or concerned about licensing? Fuck, there are plenty of lossy audio compression algorithms. Use CELT, the patent-free open-source low-latency audio codec deveoped by the same people as Ogg-Vorbis. It has a latency of 9 milliseconds.

http://www.celt-codec.org/
(Did I mention that CELT is designed to recover from packet loss without skipping? Check the Samples page.)

Do you realize how much money you could make by fixing this? AirPhones has huge potential, but 99% of your potential users are passing it up. Why? Because almost no one outside of the remote suburbs has an 802.11b/g network that can use AirPhones 2 without the audio skipping! 58% of your ratings for the PAID version were 2 stars or less.

Hell, give me the source code and I’ll add audio compression and give it back to you tomorrow. This is ridiculous. So much wasted potential.

modest
modest

Re: Compress the audio! It will solve the audio issues. $$$

Postby smashart » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:06 pm

I'd love to get some help on this, but there are 3 parts, the Mac server, the PC server and the client app. If you can give me a hand, I might take you up on this.
smashart
Site Admin

Postby jeffowski » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Let me toss in a "me too".

And allowing for buffering configurable by the user. This will allow you to trade off delay for quality. I mainly use this to listen to my iTunes library remotely across the network from a different room and the quality totally sucks. A buffer or compression would fix this.

This would make an "OK" app into a really great one I could recommend to my friends and all the other Apple customers that I deal with on a daily basis.

Jeffowski
jeffowski

Postby smashart » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback, we're working on some improvements, I hope to have them out sooner than later.
Chris
smashart
Site Admin

Postby SKIN » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:21 pm

I too have some stuttering going on. Can't wait till this is fixed. This is such a good app.
SKIN

Postby fristpsot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:45 am

HI!

Is there any news on this ?
As it is now AirPhones takes up all of my airport bandwidth. Turning off encryption is not a solution, and I would very much like to be able to browse a few websites while music is playing.

Other than that, it works like charm, very good! :)
fristpsot

Postby dago2_1999 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:27 am

Hello ,
I have the same problems here. Audio keeps skipping packets. I turned off bluetooth but I get same problem.
I also tried it on iPod touch as well as the iPhone .
As someone else said I think it should be fixed making the incoming sound buffered with a configurable buffer ,so everyone can have the best performance in terms of audio delay and no audio skip.
By the way I am an iPhone dev as well. I do really think this app has potencial.

Best regards

Roberto Perego
Darxun Games
dago2_1999

Return to Mac Help