WiFi, wired, wireless & AdHoc

WiFi, wired, wireless & AdHoc

Postby michael_appleby » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:11 pm

Hey!
To use Airphones on Windows, does there have to be a direct WiFi connection or can my iphone, which is connected to my router, see the server on my desktop computer (which itself does not have wireless) that is also connected to the same router?
Cheers
michael_appleby

Re: WiFi, wired, wireless & AdHoc

Postby smashart » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Your computer doesn't need to have a wireless connection, as long as it's connected to the same network as your computer. My computer is hard wired via ethernet to the wireless router (for faster speeds) and it works great.

It's also possible to connect via an AdHoc network. We've seen a solution for a Mac, if you know how to set this up on a PC, please comment. Thanks!
smashart
Site Admin

Postby michael_appleby » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:34 pm

I'm currently on Windows 7, so I thought I'd link you to a source rather than post Windows-7 screenshots!

Windows Vista:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Window ... 61033.mspx

Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... adhoc.mspx

In both XP and Vista, it'll say that the network is disconnected until clients connect. To actually connect from the iphone, it's the same as joining any other network, it appears in the list just the same!
michael_appleby

Postby michael_appleby » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:37 pm

In relation to my original post, I was asking before I purchased. I have now purchased the application and have successfully used it on a Mac - works great and although the latency is a little issue, it's just that, little - perhaps this will be worked on a little more in future releases?

I'm now looking forward to the second version of this application being released on the iTunes store so that I can use it on Windows - my original purpose for purchasing the application! Saw it many months ago, read a Windows version was going to be released in the future, so decided to wait, but got impatient to try it and I'm glad I did! :)
michael_appleby

Postby smashart » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:51 pm

The following are NOT supported under AirPhones²:
Vista 64 bit
Windows 2003
Windows 2003 – 64bit
Windows 2008
Windows 2008 – 64 bit
Windows 7
Windows 7 – 64 bit
smashart