XP & Vista 64 Bit not supported

XP & Vista 64 Bit not supported

Postby smashart » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:02 pm

AirPhones 2 only supports 32 bit XP & Vista.
We currently don't have plans to develop a 64 bit Windows server, but that could change with greater interest.

The following are currently NOT supported under AirPhones²:
Vista 64 bit
Windows 2003
Windows 2003 – 64bit
Windows 2008
Windows 2008 – 64 bit
Windows 7
Windows 7 – 64 bit

A note from a developer I'm working with:
"Also, for OS-X you don't need to do anything special for 64-bit. OS-X Leopard+ is 64-bit compatible, and 32-bit reverse compatible, always. Windows isn't programmed so well, so it doesn't support this. So you have to specially compile/code for 64-bit for Windows in order to make it run, whereas on the mac, you don't.

Yes, os-x kicks ass. :)"
smashart
Site Admin

Re: XP & Vista 64 Bit not supported

Postby glynor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:55 am

That is really unfortunate. I've been anxiously awaiting the Windows version of AirPhones in order to try it out and add it to my HTPC setup at home. I currently have a set of Sennheiser RF headphones that I use with that setup, but I've not been very happy with them and I'm hoping to replace them with AirPhones.

While the HTPC is currently running Windows XP 32-bit, I will be upgrading it to Windows 7 64-bit once it is officially released (especially since I have 4GB of RAM in that machine and not all of it is currently usable). We have now gotten to the point where many off-the-shelf Windows boxes from retailers (Dell, HP, etc) are shipping with 4GB+ of RAM and with Vista 64-bit by default, even low-end models. I build all of my PCs myself, but my father just recently bought a $450 Dell that came with Vista 64-bit. I would say that the transition will be even more thorough with Windows 7 (as there are fewer Pentium 4 and Core 1 machines out there that don't support 64-bit extensions) and RAM prices have fallen to the point where going with 4GB of RAM (or more) is no longer a significant cost concern.

I would strongly recommend that you move to support 64-bit flavors of Windows soon, perhaps timed with the upcoming Windows 7 release, if you intend to truly support Windows going forward. Limiting yourself to 32-bit legacy flavors will only limit your market more and more as time goes forward.
glynor

Postby k-sea » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:23 am

I second this...

64 bit OS is becoming more the norm now days...

I did try but no luck... :cry:

Cannot register device (15/565 - Operation not allowed in WOW64.)
k-sea

Postby 3choTh1s » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:53 pm

I have to agree that's most unfortunate. I do have a 32-bit XP available to use. And a macbook. But my primary PC is a very nice Dell Studio XPS, which of course is shiny, new, and 64-bit Vista loaded. I'm afraid nowadays computers (and especially those coming into the future) are gonna go straight to 64-bit since they can have RAM more than 4 GB's.

I've tried the airphones on my macbook and it's not terrible. A lot better than the alternative. I was really hoping for a good show in Airphones 2.
3choTh1s

Postby Ross » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:23 pm

You should make a 64bit version!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you did then I would definately buy it. Many people are using 64bit these days and soon no pc's will be sold with 32bit. Surely it can't be that hard to recompile it for a 64bit operating system.

I was dissapointed to see you would not be making it for the operating system that I and many people use.
Ross

Postby O.K.? » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:44 pm

I can't believe it!
I mean, I've been looking forward to Windows release since the Mac release, and all this time I've been using 64 bit OS (Windows 7), and today I entered the website, I saw download for Windows and I was like "OMG Finaly" then tried to install and a lot of errors came.

I'm so depressed now.

Thanks a lot AirPhones for the greatest disappointment ever!
O.K.?

Postby twisted-space » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:14 am

Please release a 64 bit version, more and more pc's are coming with 4 Gb ram and a 64 bit OS. It seems a strange choice to limit your app in such a way.
twisted-space

Postby MicroM » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:16 am

Why don't you whant to make a 64 bit version?

almost every new computer have 64-bit!!!

PLZ make it!!!!!!!!!
MicroM

Postby maulin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:12 am

If you need a 64 bit version of this app, there is a similar one that is just and good and works (and actually has some cooler features, like wireless trackpad and remote) available at http://audio.mbpowertools.net/index.html
maulin

Postby flamme-demon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:34 am

Hello to you,

I think the server developed for 64-bit would be a very good idea. For Microsoft Windows SEVEN briefly showed its interest to push this technology. It will be increasingly used by some time.

Thank you to you until the 64-bit forward
flamme-demon

Postby Havok » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:15 am

Please create a 64 bit version. A lot of the people now a days are on 64bit. It's really unfortunate that it only supports 32bit.
Havok

Postby smashart » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:25 am

Asking my developer, just a matter of expense. Does anyone have an expert opinion on the difference between the two as far as software is concerned and what it might take in hours to make such an update? I'm guessing it's more about the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit, than it is about our server needing major surgery. Any opinions?
smashart
Site Admin

Postby TimeDoctor » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Please add a warning to the download page since the installer fails badly (it doesn't warn you that it won't be able to install the device driver). This is how it behaves under Vista 64 at least.
TimeDoctor

Postby Rallicat » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:26 am

I just want to add my name to the list of those wanting a 64-bit windows server.

I was rather dissapointed to find it didn't work on my new 64-bit PC. The App works so well on the Mac, and on 32-bit Windows, but with more and more PCs having 64-bit operating systems, you might as well be telling those people that you don't have a Windows version, and those are people that will look to another app to do the job.

--
Rallicat

Postby asmodeus » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:23 am

smashart wrote:Windows isn't programmed so well, so it doesn't support this. So you have to specially compile/code for 64-bit for Windows in order to make it run, whereas on the mac, you don't.

Really? That's your excuse for not AirPhones not working under 64-bit OS? You, guys, are pathetic douchebags and mac fanbois.

Windows 32-bit apps run perfectly well under 64-bit environment, everybody knows it. Well, except you, I guess, and your half-assed application. If you can't code for Windows - why don't you just say so? Why blame the OS for your incompetence?
asmodeus

Postby asmodeus » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:28 am

Oh, and by the way - your uninstaller removes Bonjour service which is used (and installed) by iTunes. Please pull your hands out of your ass and fix it.
asmodeus

Unable to format my old mp3Player affected by virus..?

Postby Konder » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:49 pm

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 with Windows Vista. My mouse locks up and the computer freezes. I thought it was a virus but after running a scan, it still kept happening. I tried cleaning up my registry but I don't think that helped. HP was no help to me so what should I do? unlock iphone 3g
Konder

Postby rawky1986 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:12 pm

HI,

On the subject of 64 bit support I would like to register my interest. Really want an app with this functionality and if you guys could see your way to coding one im sure there are a lot more like me. I thought that windows 64 bit still ran things in a 32 bit mode using the wow64 stuff? probably wrong though. I like OSX but I just like to be able to tinker :) since waaaay back in DOS days. Why I like Terminal.

Look forward to you hopefully releasing one

Martin
rawky1986

Postby smashart » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi, I'm an Art Director with no programming experience. All of the help I've been getting is from hired help, and the reason I haven't had all the updates I've wanted. That said though, I'm hoping to make some improvements in the near furutr, adding 64bit support and improving the playback overall. I'm looking into PPC & LInux support too, but we'll see about that. Anyway, thanks for your interest and support this far, I'm doing everything in my power to do the best work I can.
smashart
Site Admin

Postby rbs » Wed May 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Win 7 x64 is on 85% of the PC's being sold now and the Sales to these customers with iPhones should justify the expense. If your present developer does no know how to do this, it is time to look for a new one. I have been quietly (and patiently) wait for a 64 bit server for almost a year. Just to prove how dumb I am, I bought the full version of your iPhone App a couple days after it was announced then read the fine print and found that it was not going to work on my Win 7 Ultimate X64 PC. I check back about once a month to see if you have brought out a new version and am always disappointed. Time to decide if you are serious about this. If not sell it to someone who is.
rbs

Postby truthteller » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:54 pm

Sorry to say man! but you dropped the ball right here!!

How you gonna make a 32bit version and not 64? ~ c'mon son getdafuckouttaherewitdatbullshit!

Anything worth doing, is worth doing properly... this ain't it! TAKE NOTE!!!
truthteller

Return to PC Help